4.01.2012

Where To Eat :: Charleston, SC

While visiting Charleston, there was really no wrong place to eat. Southern comfort food is fantastic. But it's also everywhere in the city. Yes, it's tasty and wonderful, but sometimes, shrimp and grits gets a bit boring the 3rd time you've had it during your visit. Mixing it up a bit can be fun and exciting! I mean, how often are you really going to be in Charleston? Might as well try all sorts of things while you're there. This is just a sample of the food that I had while traveling in the Low Country.

Monza
It's this little pizza place off of King. My mom and I stumbled upon it while walking around our first night there. Cute and charming with a beautiful outdoor patio. PLEASE try the Campari pizza. Goat cheese and red peppers with capers and eggplant. Eggplant on pizza? Crazy right? No. Wrong. It was fantastic. My mom got the asparagus salad, which she said was amazing. A group of girls sitting near us saw her get it and decided to get it for themselves. It's that good. Most of their food is local, which is very common in Charleston. Their specials are to die for as well. The pizza special of the day had corn on it! This place is not afraid to take risks. Take a risk and try it out.


Gaulart & Maliclet French Café Fast and French Inc.
My mom and I went here for dessert one afternoon. Very small and cramped, but so worth it. Their apple tart was perfect with ice cream. Especially on a hot day, like it was almost every day in Charleston, iced coffee is a must. They brew each cup in a French Press and the iced coffee is served with a little nutmeg. So perfect. While I didn't try any of the actual food there, it all looked very French and very good. The gentleman sitting next to me had a cheese and fruit plate that looked so good. There wasn't a time where the waiters and waitresses weren't running around, so snag a spot if you can. And be patient. It's worth it.





Slightly North of Broad (SNOB)
It's kind of fancy pants, but good. Very Low Country style cooking. Usually pretty crowded for dinner (you'll need to call ahead for a reservation if you want to eat before 9), but perfect for lunch. Asparagus is in season now, so if you're heading there anytime soon, get a cup of the asparagus soup. Creamy, but not too overpowering. One thing I've noticed while in Charleston is the lack of veggie options. But SNOB has a great veggie wrap. Lots of hummus and yellow squash. The atmosphere was really nice, despite the fact I felt super awkward in there wearing jeans. But, it was really tasty. Lots of seafood options because the harbor and the Atlantic is right there. Anywhere you go in Charleston there is an abundance of seafood. Get that. It'll be fresh and wonderful.


Kudu
One of the first things I asked when I got into the city was where I could get a good cup of coffee that wasn't Starbucks. This is where I was told to go. Nothing against Starbucks, I worked there for almost 2 years. But I've been spoiled rotten by my local coffee places in Chicago. I only stopped here for a moment; grabbed a cup of coffee and bought a pound of beans before taking a walk around the city. It was great, though. The staff was super nice and helpful. The outdoor patio was lit up with Christmas lights (always very charming). Their menu was full of local items: beer, coffee, tasty treats. I wish I had had more time to spend in it. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment